Saturday, April 1, 2017

Cover Page and Table of Contents (finally)

I'm so happy to finally be able to show my cover and table of contents! Yesterdays shoot was pretty rough (see previous post), but I looking at some of the pictures that i was able to take, I'd say it payed off. 

Without exaggerating, I actually took 500 photos yesterday (although only about half of those I could use because I'm still a photographer in training 😏) I wanted something impactful for my cover, not just Tiffany doing a pretty pose. That's why I'm so glad that in the midst of my exhaustion I had the idea to shoot some pictures from a low angle. I was actually down on one knee tying my shoe when I looked up and saw her pose (the picture on the cover). It looked powerful in a way, so I instructed her to recreate it when we resumed shooting, while I had my mom pointing a blow dryer at her hair from the hallway. I shot the picture with a low angle that was not too extreme, but still clearly a low angle, to complement the image the hair, shadow, and firm pose give of being powerful, but not domineering. 





**Note: The date says Spring 2017, but that will be changed to "April 2017", as established in a previous blog post. Also, "The Issue With Feminism" sounds negative, which I totally did not intend (I intended it to be the overarching theme of this specific issue), as well as the fact that it looks really strange overlapping the title, so that will be changed for sure.  

Below is my table of contents. I decided that the layout that I had designed was too pink and the inspiration for my design (the Vogue table of contents) could not be done because after hour joomag, I just can't figure it out. Therefore, I must move forward. The new layout is pretty simple because most Feminist magazines typically have a table of contents with the information centered in the page and nothing else. However, since my magazine in a general-interest Feminist magazine, it's a little different and follow a combination of the layout for both a Feminist magazine and a regular women's magazine: it's simple and has the list of articles going straight down, but also includes a picture to the side, taken from the waist up, which is typical of both genres of magazines.






I'm happy with how they turned out, but I am a little concerned by how dark the images are. Yes, the images are edited somewhat, but no matter what brightness and contrast I apply to them of Canva, they still come out pretty dark! Additionally, the background of the cover is looking a little muddy brown to me...definitely not appealing. I will therefore try to play around with the images a little more or have to pick different ones 😓. But for now, on to the two page spread!

-Jenn



No comments:

Post a Comment