Friday, March 10, 2017

And the Winner Is...

...not the cooking magazine!

I have actually decided upon a completely different idea than the ones from my list: Feminism. It's funny because that's one of the topics I swore I wouldn't do. Then how come I ended up at this point?

As seen in my previous post, I had tried to settle on a magazine genre by coming up with an image. However, I was having trouble coming up with original images for my magazine, possibly because my heart wasn't completely set on doing a cooking, travel, or culture magazine. Therefore, I decided to think up another essential element first: the title. Unconventional, I know, but I stepped up to the challenge after finding this little gem:

Robert Munsch is an acclaimed
children's author 

My title would therefore have to be original and appealing, but since I didn't know my target audience yet (because I didn't even know my genre yet), I began my brainstorming by thinking up things that I like. Having just finished watching Midnight In Paris, I was thinking all things French, since I find the country, culture, and language so fascinating. Playing around with different French conjugations, "L'Fém" popped in to my head. The title in general is in French, with "L' " being the French version of "the" and "Fém" being a shortened version of "Féminene", meaning "feminine". Then I began to think: Why would I have a title in French? What does French and France mean to me and what could I use it to convey? France is revolutionary, modern, chic...all words that I also associate with women (i.e., Feminism).

And the idea just kept on growing from there. I realized that I wanted to advocate for women (i.e. feminism), but portray what I saw feminism to be, not the stuffy, radical women that make some people cringe when they think of the word. A feminist can be an advocate for women, but also be into pop culture, be fashionable, be "chic". In other words: millennial Feminists.

That is how I officially decided that I was going to be creating a Feminist magazine, but with the twist of focusing on the new faces of the movement (perfect selling line?: The New Face of Feminism) With my idea clear, I can finally begin my genre research tomorrow.

-Jenn






No comments:

Post a Comment