Thursday, March 9, 2017

What Will It Be?

Welcome to my (soon to be officially titled) blog!

Here you will be able to follow me as I create my final portfolio project. Disclaimer: I am perpetually indecisive, so bear with me as I possibly change my mind several times.


Although I am a self-proclaimed movie junkie, I decided to go with the magazine instead of the film opening in order to stress myself out further challenge myself.  I believe that the hardest part of a film opening is coming up with an idea for it. However, for a magazine, every aspect involves some sort of compromise between ideas in order to create a final product that is both cohesive and stands out. Although my magazine must follow the chosen genre conventions, every element can exist as my own, with the addition of my own little twists to the genre conventions. This would push me to exercise my creative critical thinking side, a side I haven't been able to use too often throughout high school. Also, when else in my life will I have the opportunity to design my own magazine? However, never say never...

Since deciding on a magazine, I have been scrambling to come up with a unique  idea. This is the list I compiled, including pros and cons:




Topic
Pros
Cons
Cooking
-Could do a cooking magazine for every stage of life

-Food is delicious
-I feel like this genre of magazine
is overdone, therefore, my concept
would have to be really fresh

-I’m not sure how well my idea
would play out

-I can't cook ☹

Traveling
-Cute title idea: Bon voyAge (pronounced ‘age’, as in growing old)

-Gives me an excuse to go to Wynwood or the beach
-Some people may not understand
the title

-Its sad that the only travel-worthy spots
relatively near-by are Wynwood and
the beach

Culture
Could be based around my own Latin Culture, specifically Colombia
Since all the pictures in the project have to be my own, I’d have to go out and find a gathering of Colombians doing something typically Colombian...pretty rare in Florida

I'm more of a visual person, so I decided to look up innovative magazine covers to see if I got inspired, working to create the concept for the magazine around an image.

While at the library, I found some interesting ideas to base a cooking magazine off of, similar to the cooking magazine idea I had thought of:

About how food united two
friends and helped
them get through several
stages of their lives
About how family
dinner growing up
affects the outcome
of a person
Here are travel magazine compositions that caught my attention:
The angle at which the subject
is photographed makes it seem
three dimensional on the page
The colors are gorgeous,
the subject is simple, but
by placing it on the third of the
page it gives it a more pleasing
composition.

















Finding ideas for a culture magazine orientated towards what I was thinking was more difficult:

I love the simplicity of of the layout,
the black and white juxtaposed with
the blue title, and the angle and carefree
nature of the photograph. However,
this specific magazine leans more towards
a women's lifestyle magazine, which I'm
not too sure that I want to do. 

As of now, I am leaning towards doing the cooking magazine, but I want to give myself one more day to brainstorm before I officially decide.

-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment