Saturday, March 18, 2017

Designing

Okay so I finally started sketching. Please excuse the quality of the photos.

Having established that I was going to be tackling the the current debate about women's fashion, I decided that my cover line would use a play on words to reflect this. "The Fashion Issue" refers to both the theme of this magazine edition and the current problem with fashion. Since I want my composition to be clean and simple, as of now, I am going to try to use only three colors on my cover: red/pink, white, and black. However, the composition can't be too empty, or else it wouldn't fit into the feminist genre, so I decided to add a side border that would be only on the left and at the top. I got the idea for the font after playing around with fonts on Canva and I think it fits well with the concept of fashion, but at the same time it seems like an undone version of cursive writing, which would convey the concept of breaking out of the mold. (**Note: I still haven't decided what the picture on the cover will be so I drew ideas separately from the cover sketch.)There are some things that I still need to touch up, but this is the general idea for my cover:
**Note: the picture says pink, but I'm going
to try to create a pink/red mixture instead

 Below is the image that I'm currently leaning towards the most for the cover. Since this edition of L'Fém will be about how society has trapped women in a fashion debate, I thought it would be interesting to shoot my model with her hands out, holding on to bars that I would edit into the photo, but not completely caged in. This would represent how women are being trapped by society on the issue, but at the same time are trying to break free. Since this idea would incorporate the extra element of bars, I I end up going with this idea I think that I would eliminate the side border on the cover, or the composition would be too busy. Originally, I had shaded the girls face in because I don't have a model yet, but I'm starting to think that it would be interesting to somehow cast the girls face completely in shadow because she is supposed to represent all women and all women don't have the same face. How good of an idea is this? I think I should give myself time to think it over.


Girl would be wearing some sort of dress
(although I'm still thinking about the outfit...).
If this ends up on the cover, then it would be
shot in black and white.


This is another idea that I had thought of for the cover image. Basically, it's a girl wearing some sort of dress (could maybe change to a different outfit), with her hair in her face (which would cover the same concept behind obscuring the face in the image before), and her arms swinging freely (as in, she's "free"?). This would definitely be a more understated image than the one above, but I kind of like it. If I don't end up using it for the cover, I'll try to find a way to incorporate it into the two-page spread.

Depending on where this image
will be placed, I will decide what colors
she will be wearing or if it should be shot
in black and white.


This last picture is very editorial looking...and I'm not sure if that is a good thing. I like the idea of the hair splayed out behind her, making her seem a little unpolished, but other than that I don't see how this picture would add any meaning to my magazine issue.
The face in still picture is also
obscured, but, once again, that's
still to be decided.

Maybe I'll play around with a few more ideas... particularly something with the hair from the last picture because I really like that idea. More updates coming soon!

-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment