Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Fine Tuning and Scheduling


I had somewhat of an epiphany yesterday. I really liked the concept of Bust magazine that I had researched, where it is a general interest Feminist magazine, meaning that it is laid out like a women's lifestyle magazine (with some spreads looking higher end), while tackling current day women's issues in pop culture. Therefore, I decided that I want my magazine to have the same layout as Bust, which also matches other typical Feminist magazines clean composition and, of course, an article with a Feminist mindset.

I was having trouble coming up with an article idea because Feminism is so broad. I myself had had the image of Feminism being only about fiery issues, so I was trying to think of an article that was more on the serious side,but also not on a topic that's too stuffy and not me. Then I came across this quote by teenage feminist and founding editor-in-chief of Rookie Magazine :
One thing that can be very alienating about a misconception of feminism is that girls then think that to be feminists they have to live up to being perfectly consistent in their beliefs, never being insecure, never having doubts, having all the answers...and this is not true, and actually recognizing all the contradictions I was feeling became easier once I realized that feminism was not a rulebook but a discussion, a conversation, a process.”

 So I realized that I can just have my two-page spread be about a topic that I find interesting and relate it women. I had actually just come across this article the other day, which kind of stuck with me. It's about women's dress codes, specifically 'how women should dress', which I found pretty offensive, but also great discussion topic as it is serious, controversial, and a topic that I find interesting. Therefore, I'm going to make my article about the controversy with women's fashion, making L'Fém fall under a general interest Feminist magazine.

According to the type of article I'm writing and the Feminist genre of my magazine, my target audience would be older, definitely straying from the younger teen range. Because my article is going to be more sophisticated, but also about a problem in popular culture, my target audience range would be 18-35. I set this range to begin at 18 because that is when women begin to experience first-hand the necessity of the Feminist movement (are being thrust into the real world, experiencing inequalities) and made it end at 35 because that is approximately the cut off for being most influenced and aware of pop culture, which is what my magazine would tackle.

Lastly, I also came up with a schedule for this week to keep myself on task with my magazine (fingers crossed this actually happens):

Monday, March 13th
Tuesday, March 14th
Wednesday, March 15th
Thursday, March 16th
Friday, March 17th
Saturday, March 18th
Sunday, March 19th
X
*Research target audience
*Personal day
*Research color psychology


*Decide upon color scheme for magazine
*Brainstorm sketches for cover
*Start sketching cover
*Plan out next week’s schedule

*Start writing article

*Sketch layout for two-page spread

*Figure out model



-Jenn

"Feminist Majority Foundation." Feminist Majority Foundation, www.feminist.org/research/zines.html.

Fortin, Jacey. "Dress Like a Woman? What Does That Mean?" The New York Times, www.nytimes.com/2017/ 
     02/03/style/trump-women-dress-code-white-house.html?_r=0. 

"Selecting an Idea and Target Audience for Magazine Writing." The Latino Author.com, 
     thelatinoauthor.com/magazines/targeting/. 

"4 Steps for Defining a Target Audience." Print, 24 Nov. 2015, www.printmag.com/design-education/ 
     4-steps-for-defining-a-target-audience/. 

Yandoli, Krystie. "There’s No Such Thing As a ‘Typical Feminist’." The Huffington Post, 
     www.huffingtonpost.com/krystie-yandoli/theres-no-such-thing-as-a_2_b_4269310.html. 















No comments:

Post a Comment