Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Critiques and Fighting the Urge to Start All Over

Today in Media Studies class we met in the library to give and receive critiques for our Foundation Portfolio projects. The people in my assigned critique group said that they liked the idea of doing a Feminist magazine, but they didn't understand the direction I was going in for my article or my pictures because I myself sounded unsure when I explained my project. Truthfully, I really was unsure about my whole magazine and had thought about completely changing to a cooking magazine. Luckily, I managed to talk myself out of it by reasoning:
     a. I would have to do three weeks worth of work in one weekend
     b. I still have no idea how I would do my own fresh take on a cooking magazine
     c. I can't cook anyway, so making a cooking magazine would not be any easier

I think a major part of the problem was that in planning these editorial-type photos and making a bold unconventional title, I was losing the essence of the importance of Feminism. I had felt like I was stuck doing a Feminist magazine,until I thought about one of the ideas given during the critique. When I was explaining that I wanted my magazine to be a departure from what some people negatively perceive feminism to be, someone suggested that somewhere in my magazine I address this issue. That's how I decided on my new article idea. The same aspect that I wanted my magazine to embody, of breaking the stereotype of the negative image of feminism, is more direct to the genre of my magazine and more relevant to what's going on in the present. My target audience would still stay the same though, because I'm going to try to incorporate my new article idea with pop culture (just no directly focus on fashion...) I'm still deciding whether I'm going to do an opinion piece or an interview, but my article is essentially going to answer why women are hesitant to identify as feminists and what can be done (or should anything be done) to change this image.

-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment